Off-Campus Students

Frequently Asked Questions

January 24–February 7, 2021

Expand All
  • If I need healthcare support, what do I do?

    For health-related questions or concerns, call the Student Health Center 804-289-8064 and talk with a nurse. 

    • After hours Nurse Triage is available for students calling 804-289-8064; Nurse Triage as needed will contact the doctor on call after hours. 
    • Telehealth appointments are scheduled if appropriate for evaluation by virtual/video/phone evaluation; or in-office appointments if after phone evaluation indicates need. 
    • For information visit the Student Health Center website   
    • Students may schedule a telehealth appointment by logging into their Patient Portal,, OR by calling: 804-289-8064 
      • SHC hours of operation
        Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday: 8:30 a.m.–12 p.m. and 1 p.m.–4:30 p.m. 
        Thursday: 10 a.m.–12 p.m. and 1 p.m.–4:30 p.m. 
  • What do I do if I obtain a positive COVID-19 test result from an off-campus healthcare provider?

    Students who test positive for COVID-19 via an off-campus healthcare provider should upload the tests results to their Patient Portal and call the Student Health Center (SHC) at 804-289-8064. A clinical staff member will contact the student for an evaluation, place them in isolation and verify the isolation release date.

    Residence Life and Housing is notified by the SHC when any student is placed in isolation, whether they reside on campus or off campus. The SHC will obtain the names of any close contacts of the positive case who are associated with UR and share this information with the Contact Tracing team.

  • If I need mental health counseling support, what do I do?

    Taking care of your mental health is important. For information, tips, and suggestions, please visit CAPS COVID-19 resources.

    You may contact CAPS Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. by calling the main CAPS phone number: 804-289-8119.  

    • If you are in crisis, during CAPS regular business hours, please call our office at 804-289-8119.  
    • After hours and on weekends, please call URPD’s crisis number, 804-289-8911, or dial 911, or go to your nearest emergency room.  

    Please refer to the Hot and Warmlines flyer as well for additional resources. 

  • What do I do if I need access to library materials?

    Curbside pickup is available. Visit this page for information on how to make a request. For questions or additional assistance, faculty, staff and students who need books or other physical items from Boatwright may also contact For Parsons Music Library Materials, contact

  • What do I do if I need IT support?

    Answers to many questions related to technology assistance can be found in SpiderTechNet’s Learn Remotely Checklist. Other assistance may also be available to students with technology needs in order to continue classes and related coursework. If you are in need of assistance with computer hardware, software or connectivity for academic reasons, please complete the form located here.

  • Will I get reimbursed for loss of meal plan access?

    Off campus students that purchased the Spider Unlimited and Spider Unlimited Plus dining packages will receive a credit to their student account to reflect the two-week reduction to meal plan access on campus. These adjustments will be posted to students’ accounts by the week of February 1st. Dining dollar balances will not be affected. All other dining plans (Spider 40, Spider Red, Spider Blue) are not impacted and the dining dollar balances can be used throughout the semester.

    Please contact your College Dean’s office if the inability to access University dining during the next two weeks presents a hardship.

  • If I need access to the bookstore for books/class materials?

    Please visit UR Spider Shop, call 804-289-8491, or email the Spider Shop at for information and to place your order. We will contact you when your order is available and you will be permitted to come to campus to pick up your order at the Spider Shop trailer located outdoors on the Forum. If a student is in quarantine or isolation, we will work with Student Life and the Post Office to deliver items to them.

  • What about my student job?

    Students who live off campus may not work on campus during this period. Students may contact their supervisor to see if remote work is possible.