Covering UR

Access to Campus

News media are always welcome on campus to cover news and feature stories. It is helpful, but not required, if they notify the Office of Media and Public Relations when coming to campus.

Media are welcome in any public area of campus, but may not enter residence halls or academic buildings without permission and an escort from Media and Public Relations. At students' request, we consider the University Forest Apartments and the grounds and parking areas around them to be residential areas that news media may not enter without permission.

During emergencies or other unusual circumstances, University Police may limit access to campus or direct media to designated locations for coverage of breaking news.

Expert Requests

The Media and Public Relations Office can provide faculty experts on a variety of topics, including law, business, politics, psychology, science, religious studies, leadership studies, and many others. Check our Experts Guide or call 804-287-6659 or 804-289-8056 for assistance with finding an expert to interview.

Location Shoot Requests

Companies, photographers, and others who want to shoot commercials, TV programs, documentaries, feature films, still photography, or any other visual production work on campus must contact the events office at 804-289-8160 or Liz McCann well in advance of the prospective date of the shoot.

Location fees, insurance requirements, and significant restrictions apply. No location shooting may be conducted without advance permission. Working news media covering stories are exempt.

After Hours Contact

Reporters and editors who need to contact the media and public relations staff outside of regular business hours should call University Police at 804-289-8715 and ask the dispatcher to contact a media relations officer, who will return your call.

Most weekdays, the Media and Public Relations Office is staffed from 8:30 a.m.–7 p.m.